Migraine Awareness Month💜

 June's designation as National Migraine and Headache Awareness Month emphasizes the importance of shedding light on this debilitating condition. With over 39 million Americans affected, Migraine ranks as the sixth most disabling illness globally, transcending age and gender. Yet, misconceptions persist, and diagnoses often lag behind, emphasizing the need for awareness, destigmatization, and support for those grappling with Migraine's daily challenges. In hopes to shed light, fight the stigma and show support for everyone who experiences Migraine, here is a snippet of my story.

The guilt that accompanies missing out on life due to Migraine is beyond words. The anguish, shame, and profound melancholy weigh heavily, requiring a resilience often fueled by faith alone. Migraine transcends being merely a headache; it morphs into a multidimensional disability, impacting physical, mental, spiritual, and social aspects of life. Its effects ripple through personal relationships and professional endeavors, altering my perceptions of the future and personal goal-setting.

I vividly recall my first ocular migraine at the tender age of eight, a bewildering experience amidst my third-grade classroom. The visual aura left me disoriented, convinced something had gotten into my eyes. After countless eye exams, I was diagnosed with ocular migraine. For me, I see aura almost all the time.

By age ten, I endured my first migraine accompanied by a pounding headache. The aura, coupled with intense throbbing and nausea, trapped me in misery. I found a little relief by lying out in my backyard, cocooned in blankets, with a trusty sick bowl by my side.

In 2019, following high school graduation and completion of EMT training, migraine escalated in frequency and intensity, often lasting for days and recurring biweekly. The longest episode, spanning four excruciating months, left me bedridden and isolated. After a long wait for medical intervention from my neurologist led to a diagnosis of chronic migraine with aura, a small aneurysm on the right side of my brain (likely from past soccer and cheer concussions), and pseudotumor cerebri (IIH). Treatment for Pseudotumor Cerebri included high doses of medication and a spinal tap, marking a remission milestone in mid-2023. Though one battle subsided, the journey continues. With recent attempts at Botox treatment proving less effective than anticipated, encouragement from my neurologist keeps hope alive as I navigate potential treatment adjustments and insurance hurdles. Advocacy for my health reached a turning point when my primary care provider agreed to a comprehensive blood workup, which has been a long-awaited validation of my experiences.

While on this Migraine journey, I have realized that not only is migraine genetic, it is also environmental. Brain/eye injuries from when I was in sports, foods, weather, exercise, stress, etc., the list goes on! While there are some things I can control, sometimes I just can't, and I will need to pause and take care of myself. But life goes on for others. I have really been challenged to accept that my pace of life looks differently than it did five years ago. I am proud of myself for how far I have come on this journey.

I hope sharing this helps those of you dealing with health/medical challenges or really any personal battle at all feel less alone. Know that there is a community of people who see you, hear you, and understand. No matter how hard it gets, keep pushing on. Force yourself to engage in your community (as you can) because the people you surround yourself with are so, so important for support.

Happy Migraine Awareness Month to all my Migraine/Headache people.💜

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Migraine Tools, Tips and Tricks